I love cooking Thanksgiving dinner. I hate cooking for about three days after Thanksgiving. Fortunately an abundance of Thanksgiving dinner leftovers means I don’t need to cook for a few days after Thanksgiving. Still, eating plate after plate of turkey, green beans, and salad gets old quickly.
That’s why I love this recipe for turkey enchiladas! It’s low enough in carbs that I can one big enchilada without worrying about my blood sugar, and it’s a huge departure from the traditional Thanksgiving dinner. It’s quick to prepare and it uses up leftover Thanksgiving turkey. What more could I ask for in a “day after Thanksgiving” meal?
I keep these enchiladas low carb by using my favorite Ole brand low carb tortillas from Walmart. You should try them. I like them better than regular tortillas! I also omitted beans from these enchiladas. If your family really likes beans, serve them on the side.
You probably have most of the ingredients for turkey enchiladas in your house already. Onions, cheese, sour cream, olives, enchilada sauce, and of course, leftover turkey. Speaking of enchilada sauce, I had no idea it was so low in carbs! My Walmart carries Las Palmas enchilada sauce, which is 3 net carbs per 1/4 cup serving. And here I thought I couldn’t eat Mexican food anymore!
Serve some leftover Thanksgiving salad with your enchiladas, and you’ll have a well-rounded meal that requires little prep. And if you’re not eating low carb? Use any tortillas you’d like!
This turkey enchilada recipe makes eight big enchiladas (you won’t need to eat more than one). Each enchilada has right around 10 net carbs per serving.* Considering most Mexican food seems to contain at least double that amount of carbs, I’ll gladly eat my one monster-sized turkey enchilada!
Ready for the recipe? Here it is!
*Note: I only counted 2 1/4 of the 3 1/4 cups of enchilada sauce, as there was about 1 cup of enchilada sauce left in the bottom of the pan after the enchiladas were dished up.
Prep time:10 mins
Cook time:45 mins
Total time:55 mins
- 1 package Ole Extreme Wellness Low Carb tortillas
- 3 cups Fiesta blend cheese, divided
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 oz. sliced olives, divided
- 4 cups cooked turkey, coarsely shredded
- 28 oz. can enchilada sauce
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Spread ½ cup enchilada sauce in the bottom of a 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Combine 2 cups cheese, sour cream, onion, and half the olives in a medium bowl.
- In the center of each tortilla layer ½ cup turkey and ⅛ of the cheese mixture. Roll the tortilla and place seam side down in the prepared baking dish.
- Pour the rest of the enchilada sauce over the unbaked enchiladas. Top with the remaining cheese and olives.
- Cover and bake in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake another 15 minutes.